Inflammation is the body's natural defence and immune response to injury by helping protect against foreign organisms like bacteria and viruses. Acute inflammation occurs for two weeks or less and restores the body to health before greater illness and/or infection sets in. Chronic inflammation tends to last longer than six weeks and is linked to prolonged stress and autoimmune disorders. It can eventually cause critical illness and conditions including rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, obesity and some cancers. The five main symptoms of inflammation are pain, redness, swelling, heat, and immobility.
- Eat Anti-Inflammatory Foods: Ginger, turmeric, olive oil, green leafy vegetables, nuts, fatty fish, fruits, green tea, berries.
- Take Anti-Inflammatory Supplements: Alpha-lipoic acid, curcumin (turmeric), fish oil, omega-3, resveratrol, spirulina, S-adenosylmethionine, zinc, frankincense, cat’s claw.
- Control your blood sugar: Avoid simple carbohydrates like white flour, white rice, refined sugar, corn syrup.
- Get Physical: Exercising (4-5 times a week) and losing weight can prevent inflammation.
- Stress Management: Chronic stress is known to contribute to inflammation. Try to reduce your stress with meditation, relaxation, or yoga.
To help avoid/treat inflammation, skip these inflammatory ingredients:
- Refined Sugar
- High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Artificial Trans-Fats
- Refined Carbohydrates (white breads, pasta, candy, cookies, some cereals etc.)
- Processed meat