Hormones are chemical messengers that are secreted directly into the blood, which carries them to organs and tissues of the body. There are many types of hormones that act on different aspects of bodily functions and processes including:
- Development and growth
- Metabolism of food items
- Sexual function and reproductive growth and health
- Cognitive function and mood
- Maintenance of body temperature and thirst
Hormones are secreted from the endocrine glands in the body. The glands are ductless, so hormones are secreted directly into the blood stream. Some of the major endocrine glands in the body include:
- Pituitary gland
- Pineal gland
- Adrenal glands
10 Tips for hormonal balance
- Get your protein: it influences the release of hormones that control your appetite, while decreasing the levels of hunger hormones
- Daily physical activity: it can have a strong influence on hormonal health, with its ability to reduce insulin levels and increase insulin sensitivity.
- Avoid refined sugars and carbs: skipping these can help lower insulin levels and increase insulin sensitivity. Higher fructose consumption has been linked to a number of health problems.
- Learn to manage stress: it can help lower cortisol (stress hormone) levels. Prolonged high levels of cortisol can increase calorie intake, which can lead to obesity
- Consume healthy fats: this may help to reduce insulin resistance and hunger (MCT oils in particular).
- Avoid over/under eating: overeating can cause insulin levels to spike and sensitivity to drop. Under-eating can increase cortisol levels, which can promote weight gain.
- Drink green tea: loved for its metabolic-boosting caffeine and antioxidants, research has also shown that green tea can lower insulin levels.
- Get your Omega-3s: they've been linked to lowering levels of the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline or epinephrine.
- Get high quality sleep: quality is just as important as the quantity. Poor sleep has been linked to an imbalance of several hormones.
- Go big with fibre: it's been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and hormones that control hunger and fullness.
Dried maca root powder has 19 essential amino acids, vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, C and D, minerals iron, magnesium, copper, zinc, sodium, potassium, calcium, 8.5% fiber and 13-16% protein. It's also proven to support the balance of certain hormones.
Benefits for Men
- reduced erectile dysfunction
- Increased fertility
- increased testosterone
- aids in prostate health
- lower blood pressure during menopause
- reduced sexual dysfunction during menopause
- balancing hormone levels
- hair growth
- increased fertility
- regular menstrual cycle
Our Blends with Maca
Maca Energy + Shroom Energy
Each of these blends contains a good balance of carbs, protein (21g) and healthy fats. Say hello to your new favourite mood and energy boosting smoothies.
If you have any questions on which blends are right for your health goals and taste preferences, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org