Combat Stress with Adaptogens
We’ve been diving deep into product development over the last few months, including learning more about adaptogens, which you can find in some of our blends now and expect to see a few more of as we roll out our new products. For now, we're sharing some of the info we’ve been reading.
What is Stress Doing to Us?
When stressed, our adrenal glands release the stress hormone cortisol. Too much cortisol is unhealthy for our bodies and may be the culprit of hormonal imbalance, weight gain, insomnia, digestive issues, immunity weakness, cognitive dysfunction, and circadian rhythm disruptions, all of which can result in chronic health issues. When we’re able to adapt to stress, we significantly reduce the negative impact it has on our bodies, which is why adaptogens are getting a ton of good press.
It is important to note that while adaptogens may help support our body through stressful periods, avoiding the negative impacts of prolonged stress requires lifestyle changes that often include a healthier diet and the addition of positive mind-and-body health habits.
What Are Adaptogens?
Adaptogens are herbs, and certain mushrooms, that may help support our resistance to—and reduce the negative impacts from—physical and mental stress. An adaptogen is believed to help the body adapt to stress and to exert a normalizing effect on bodily processes.
The Three Criteria of an Adaptogen
- is non-specific and must assist the human body in resisting a wide range of adverse conditions, such as physical, chemical, mental or biological stress
- brings the body back to equilibrium and regulates processes
- doesn't harm the normal functions of the human body (non-toxic, non-addictive)
- Ashwagandha: reducing stress & anxiety, boosting immunity, adrenal fatigue
- Maca: hormone balance, adrenal function
- Turmeric: inflammation reduction, brain function
- Reishi: reducing stress & anxiety, boosting immunity, sleep quality
- Cordyceps: boosting energy & stamina, adrenal function
- Lion’s Mane: brain function, boosting energy
- Astragalus: boosting immunity & energy
- Rhodiola: reducing stress, adrenal fatigue
- Holy Basil: digestion support, lower blood sugar
- Asian Ginseng: boosting brain function, memory, immunity